The most important gardening tips you will ever take notice of are also the dirtiest and grimiest. That’s because your soil is at the root of a happy and healthy garden.
There are many other tests you can perform, and each will help you grow a lush and healthy garden. Here are a few we recommend.
- Test the soil structure and tilth. This will help you determine whether your soil is too porous and not retaining water.
- Check the compaction. If soil is too compacted, it will inhibit root growth and prevent soil fauna from nourishing your plants.
- Look for soil organisms. Make sure you have a thriving population of fungi, insects, and bacteria in the soil.
- Discover your roots. Gently check to see how far your plant’s roots are traveling and whether they are facing obstructions along the way.
- Test water infiltration. Find out how long it takes for the soil to absorb water down to the root level.
If you have any questions or need help testing your soil, give Rosehill Gardens a call at 816-941-4777. We have over 100 years experience, and we’d love to plant our green thumbs in your garden.