There is no dirtier word in the world of gardening than “weed”, and we Kansas City folk do get our fair share of weeds in our gardens. Follow these tips to keep weeds from sprouting up in your garden this summer.
- Mulch your garden thoroughly with between 1 1/2 to 2 inches of mulch.
- Moisten the soil, and pull any weeds out by the roots.
- Organize your garden so it’s easy to get between plants, and pull any weeds that sprout up.
- Water your plants, not your weeds. Be careful where you aim your hoses and sprinklers.
- Be careful where you dig. Dig up only those areas in your garden where you plan to plant.
- Watch what you introduce into your garden carefully. Scan all seedlings for signs of weeds before planting.
- Use herbicides when needed. Both pre-emergent and post-emergent treatments are highly effective at controlling weeds.
For more tips and tricks that will help you keep weeds under control this summer, stop by our garden center in Kansas City or send us a message. We’ll be happy to share our expertise with you and give you some suggestions.