Taking care of your lawn is a year-round job, and autumn is no exception.
Here are some things you can do to get your lawn ready for winter and prepped for spring.
- Weed and fertilize. Since the growth cycle has slowed down in the cooler weather, it’s easier to get ahead of weeds now than to wait for spring.
- Raise your mower blades. Allowing your lawn to grow a little bit taller this time of year will help it resist matting under the weight of heavy snowfalls.
- Thatch your lawn. Remove dead grass so that new blades can sprout.
- Seed your lawn and keep it watered. This will ensure that it has strong roots already in place when the spring weather arrives.
- Aerate your lawn, then spread a thin layer of top dressing (peat, loam, and sand) to give your lawn a little extra boost.
- Clear the leaves and turn them into mulch or compost. Never allow your leaves to remain on the grass through the winter as this can kill it and cause you major headaches in the spring.
For assistance with your landscape maintenance in Kansas City, contact Rosehill Gardens a call at 816-941-4777.