Even if you don’t have the green-thumb skill set, you can have a magnificent succulent garden indoors. Those juicy little plants from the desert come in an extraordinary array of shapes and colors, ranging from every shade of green, amber, and purple, and even fiery red.
Here are some tips for bringing them into your world:
- Succulents are the easiest plants to care for; they require little water and maintenance, and are extremely simple to propagate with cuttings.
- Succulents require good drainage; 30 percent of your soil mixture should be perlite or very small gravel to allow the water to drain properly.
- Only feed your succulents every 30 days with liquid fertilizer diluted to one-fourth strength.
- Succulents should have at least four hours of sunlight every day. They love sunny windowsills.
- Don’t over water! The leaves should be plump, but the soil shouldn’t be overly moist. Water once a week, and they’ll be thriving.
As the premier garden center in Kansas City for nearly 100 years, Rosehill Gardens has joyfully used succulents in interior landscape design. We carry succulents at both our Park Place, location as well as our Martin City location. Besides our huge array of plants, we’re offering a mini desert-scape course just on succulents on July 31; call 888-219-4086 to learn more.