No matter how well your irrigation system has been designed, it will require semi-annual maintenance to ensure that it is functioning properly. That means that every spring and fall you should plan on having a technician come out and either prepare the pipes for summer, or winterize them for the cold months ahead.
Since we’re well into winter, it’s time to think about getting things ready for spring and the time when the weather is warm enough that you can turn ’em back on. Follow these steps to protect your irrigation system and you’ll be up and running in no time at all:
- Inspect valve boxes for debris and make sure they are clear.
- Check fittings and either re-attach or replace as needed.
- Ensure the water source and drains are open and connected.
- Slowly fill up the system.
- Once water starts entering the drain, close the drain valve.
- If everything is ok, then close any outside valves and pressurize the system. Allow each valve to operate for two minutes, inspect for leaks, and make adjustments as necessary.
Contact Rosehill Gardens at (816) 877-9175 with your questions and for more details about winterizing your irrigation system. Our friendly and professional technicians will be happy to help you.
Image courtesy of Flickr.